Match the following social expressions with their
1) Some one sneezes. What do you say? ( )
2) You’re just going to start eating. What do you say? ( )
3) Someone says ,“Have a nice day!“ What do you say? ( )
4) Someone thanks you for something. What do you say? ( )
5) Refuse an invitation politely. ( )
6) Your friend is ill. What do you say? ( )
7) You want to smoke. What do you say? ( )
8) You need the salt. It’s at the other end of the table. What do you say? ( )
9) A friend has just had a baby. What do you say? ( )
10) Great a friend on December 25th. ( )
11) It’s a friend’s birthday. What do you say? ( )
12) A friend is leaving for the airport. What do you say? ( )
13) You’re late for a meeting. What do you say? ( )
14) A friend spilt coffee on your best suit. What do you say? ( )
15) You’ve just finished chatting to a friend. What do you say? ( )
16) A friend can’t come to dinner. What do you say? ( )
17) A friend offers to give you a lift home. What do you say? ( )
18) A colleague gives you a birthday present. What do you say? ( )
19) You want someone to pass your greetings on to another person. What do you say? ( )
a. That would be nice, thank you. / That’s very kind of you.
b. Bless you!
c. What a pity! Maybe next time.
d. Merry Christmas! / Happy Christmas!
e. I’d love to come, but I’m afraid I have to …..
f. That’s very kind of you! / You really shouldn’t have!
g. I hope you feel better soon. / I hope you get better soon.
h. Bon appetit. / Enjoy your meal!
i. Don’t mention it! / You’re welcome! / It was a pleasure! / My pleasure!
j. Bye, see you soon! / See you later!
k. Sorry! / Sorry I’m late. / Excuse me!
l. Have a good flight / trip / holiday!
n. You , too. / The same to you! / Thank you, the same to you.
o. Could you pass the salt, please?
p. Never mind. / It doesn’t matter. / Don’t worry.
q. May I smoke? / Do you mind if I smoke?
r. Happy Birthday! / Many happy returns!
s. Give / Pass my regards to … / Remember me to ….